Overcoming a Lifelong Fear!!

12:04 PM

Fried Corn Fritters
No, this is not becoming a food blog! However, I feel compelled to share that I have met and overcome a lifelong fear of...................hot grease!

Yeah, I know....not all that thrilling, but true, all the same. I have been afraid of hot grease since I will big enough to know what hot grease was and I wasn't even big enough to reach the stove yet!

My mother doesn't understand it nor does she know where the fear came from. She doesn't remember me ever getting close enough to the stove to get burnt by a pop of grease. Mom even wonders if she may have gotten burned while she was pregnant with me, if you believe those kinds of things.

Still, when my hubby asked me to make deep fried corn fritters for Valentine's Day, I knew my moment had come to face down my fear.

Failure was not an option.

After realizing I fully intended to try frying the fritters, my husband casually suggested that perhaps I should wait until he got home from work! I guess I should have been insulted, but it was actually a pretty funny comment at the time.

I carefully heated the grease in the kitchen kettle my mother had given us a few years ago and set about mixing up the fritter batter. When the grease reached 400º, I started dropping in the batter.

It took a several attempts and testing a few different tools before I had the nice round, puffy fritters you see in the photo.

But let me tell you, I was the domestic diva last night when Chris popped one in his mouth and pronounced it excellent! (Mind you, he hasn't had his mother's in 6 or 7 years, so I didn't have any real stiff competition.)

I had finally bested my fear of the hot grease. Yay me!!!

Corn Fritters
1 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 cup (8 oz.) cream-style corn

Fat for deep frying

Preheat the oil while mixing the batter.

Sift flour with baking powder, salt and sugar into mixing bowl. In separate bowl, combine eggs, milk and corn. Once mixed, add to dry ingredients. Stir only until dry ingredients are moist. 

Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into hot grease (357º - 400º F). Fry until golden brown, approx. 2 minutes on each side. Drain and place on absorbent paper. 

Serve hot and plain or sprinkle with confectionary sugar or drip syrup of your choice on the fritters. (Remember, this is the South—we put sugar in and on anything and everything!)

Enjoy!

Yield: Approximately 30

This will conclude the food portion of our blogging! Unless I do something else fabulous.....like beignets! Hee!!

P.S. This is a "special occasion" food unless you're looking to fast-track yourself to a heart attack!

You Might Also Like

12 Creative Thought(s)

  1. Those turned out amazing! What a sweet wife to overcome fear for a gift. :)
    Catherine Denton

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering. I have been avoiding all that greasy food. I love these things. Good for you to overcome your fear AND turn out a tasty treat. I am sure your Valentines day was a success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay you - but I'll be watching for those beignets! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go, girl! They look delicious, and I'm sure Chris appreciated the courage as well as the final outcome! Now about those beignets...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh love it...they look wonderful, I can taste how good they are by looking at them here. :) I guess you can apply this to your Art too.. Facing your unreasonable fear of drawing or painting something. Its all in our heads. Right?? :))Congrats on this new break thru.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They sure look great but I agree fried foods are occasional treats anymore. Glad you got over your fear of frying and your hubby got to have his treat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, yum YUM! I havent had corn fritters in years but always loved them. Bit I have never deep fried! They look tempting tho.

    Glad you overcame your fear of hot grease.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great and congrats on overcoming the fear so wonderfully.
    But let me know when you make beignets!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. good for you! They look great! Love the cake below, too--Happy belated, Laure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YEAH!!!! I'm so happy you overcame your fear too! Those Fritters look mighty yummy!!! Wayne and I will be over for the beignets... again, what time will they be done??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Laure for your lovely comments on my drawings from nature. I have just been watching the video and loved your pigment card and paint card, great idea that I will try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Milly! The pigment cards can be a life-saver when you can't remember how you created something.

      Delete

Let's talk!

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe