A Place To Linger....(NOLA)

10:03 AM

Place d'Armes Hotel
Watercolor and Ink
Seldom have I stayed at a hotel where I wanted to linger, but this was the case with the Place d'Armes hotel! It is a property of 8 town homes built back in the 18th and 19th centuries, cobbled together around the most gorgeous courtyards you could ever want to sit in.

The old bricks were the perfect backdrop for the fountains and lush greenery. There was a quietness, a peaceful ambiance that slipped up and soothed you whenever you stepped foot into the courtyard. The doors were the old style with the wood mullions, shutters on either side.

I knew if we'd ran into some ugly weather, that the courtyard would provide many days' worth of sketching materials all by itself! In fact, this was one of the places I sat to sketch on my free afternoon. You just wanted to be out there soaking it up!

Others on the trip felt the same tug—you can see Cheryl's beautiful courtyard here and Claire's lovely room here. If you're headed to NOLA anytime soon, I highly recommend this hotel.

You Might Also Like

13 Creative Thought(s)

  1. It looks and sounds just wonderful. Great choice Laure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was an oasis there--very quiet and peaceful no matter what was going on out on the street!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the shades and shadows in your painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful sketch Laure - and great photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And thanks for the link to my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow.. makes me want to go just to sit in that lovely courtyard. I love the ambiance. Makes me wish I could incorporate it into our yard somehow. Lovely painting of it too. I will go check the others blogs for their paintings too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful sketch to remind you of this lovely oasis you encountered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ..such a delightful setting you captured with your brush and watercolours Laure; your art certainly portrays a lovely tranquil setting

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so inviting. Definitely a place I would love to sit and read - or sketch. This trip sounds like so much fun. I love your paintings of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When my daughter was telling her husband how I'd wanted to go on this trip but my husband said no, he told her he wouldn't say yes either as it was too much money - what do you need a nice hotel for? Well see, this is what you need the nice hotel for but I can't get that across to either man!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And your painting says how nice it felt to be there too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm chuckling, Laure. I just posted about one of my favorite places to stay and then I came over here to see what you have been up to. Staying in the French Quarter sounds just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Somehow I missed this delightful post as I was rushing towards the holidays. This is a wonderful image to remember our adventure with. Also, thanks for the link to my page!

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk!

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe